Tuesday, January 17, 2006

African American Documents in South Carolina

Will of CYRUS
A Free Negro

South Carolina
In the Name of God Amen, I Cyrus of St. Andrews Parish in the Province aforesaid,
formerly a Slave the Property of Wm. Elliott Deceased, but now a Free man bing Possessed in my own Right of a small Estate, Consisting of Five Negro’s named, Jacob, Nanny, Smart, young Jacob & Venus and being Desirous that my Children may have the Benefit of the same at my Death..I therefore make this my last Will and Testament hereby giving and Bequeathing all my said Five Negro’s Named as aforesaid unto my Four Children Named as follows: Phebe belonging to Barnard Elliott Esq. Cyrus, late the property of said Barnard Elliott but now a Free Man, Cyrus, belonging to Mr. James Girardeau, and Wall belonging to Mr. Samuel Elliott, to be equally divided between them share & share alike I also give devise and Bequeath unto my Grand Son Cyrus Belonging to Barnard Elliott Esqr. All the ready money that I shall die possessed of and likewise the offspring Issue and Increase of aid Female slaves, if not more than one Child, but if there be more than one Child the Issue of the said Females at the time of my death, then I give to the same to be equally divided between said four Children share and share alike, And Lastly I do hereby Constitute authorize and appoint Benjamin Elliot Esqr. Executor of this my Last Will and Testament hereby Revoking all former Wills by me heretofore made, and in Case of the Death of the said Benjamin Elliott then I do appoint Barnard Elliott Esquire to be Executor to this my Last Will and Testament In Testimony whereof I the said Cyrus the Testator to this my Last Will have set my hand and seal this Thirty First day of December in the Year of our Lord One Thousand seven Hundred and Seventy and in the Eleventh Year of his Majesty’s Reign.
His
Cyrus a Free S Negro (L.S,.)
Mark

Signed sealed published & declared by the Testator as & for his last Will & Testament in the presence of each other & at his Request have signed our names as Witnesses.
Before the signing our Names as witnesses the word Grand was interlined in the fifteenth line

No comments: